Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape and Linux problems with setting an ENV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDunn

Technical User
Nov 20, 2000
US
I am a bit of a novice with Linux (ok I am a complete virgin). I am trying to get online via Netscape on my linux box, modem is set and I have set my primary and secondary dns but when I try to browse I get some sort of error which says that it can't find the specified server and it says that the dns may not be set. It also talks about me setting the location for the dns server in ENV? I have looked in my oreilly linux book but to no avail and have also asked a few friends again to no avail. Please help me I am at wits end.

Thanks

Chris

During bootup does it say that eth0 is loaded succeesfully? i'm haveing the same problem too

Found the solution to my problem and feel pretty much like an idiot but I will share in the hopes that if someone is as assuming as me and is having the same prob I had this will help. I assumed through configuring my dialup configuration through xwindows the resolv.conf file was ultimatically updated. This was a blatant error on my part and after I went in and added the address to my name servers in the resolv.conf file everything went peachy!

Thanks

Chris Dunn

Hi ChrisDunn, Could you show more detail what did you modify your resolv.conf file or Could you copy and paste the lines that you modified for? I have the same error message form netscape about name server. Thanks,

no prob I'd be glad to. First off you probably don't have a resolv.conf file in your etc directory under root so you will have to create it. Next here are the lines:

nameserver "put your primary name servers addy here"

nameserver "put your secondary heref"

And that's it. It's quite simple. Hope this works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back