Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape 7.0/7.1 won't run or find any URL's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparkhill

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US
My daughter runs Win 98se on a Dell Latitude CPi laptop. She attempted to install Netscape 7.0 and upgrade to 7.1, but each time she runs the program, she gets a message saying, "Cannot find or similar message for any other web page. Netscape cannot find any URL address.

I removed all previous versions of Netscape from her computer, ran Scandisk, ran RegClean and deleted all references to Netscape in her Registry and from her hard drive. at that point, I installed the Win98se files and installed Netscape 7.0 from a CD. Same issue - Netscape cannot find any URL address you enter.

I have checked all the Edit, Preference settings and nothing seems out of order. Also, I reinstalled the Win98se files before the final Netscape install.

IE 6.0 browser runs fine and has no problems. Netscape 6 worked fine before she attempted to upgrade to Netscape 7.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Hi,
Can u browse the web using other browsers?
Can you get the IP address of and but that into the browser address bar instead and try that?
What type of connection to the web are u utilising?

Yes, IE 6 works fine. My daughter uses a dialup account for her access to the Net and no, I didn't attempt using an IP address. No webpages can be pulled up....I tried CNN, Yahoo and Annoyances.com.

Jan

Can u try using the IP address of the webpage.
Have u got the connection setting in netscape to automatically detect connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back