Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netra X1 - Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

I have a Netra X1 which had the power reset on it during startup :( Anyway, now when it boots all I get is the following:-

"Boot device: disk File and args:
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable."

Now I've read that you just boot into single user mode '-s' and do a fsck....but....I cant even get the drive to boot let alone go into single user mode!!

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

- Trevor

Boot with CD in the single user mode:

ok> boot cdrom -s

# fsck /dev/rdsk/c(x)t(x)d(x)s(x)

# reboot

Apricot has missed the point a Netra X1 doesn't have a CD.
When I have had problems with these machines the options below have worked.

Power on the machine then type #. (assuming you haven't changed this from the default) The dot (.) must be typed within a second of the hash(#).

You should then get to the lom> prompt, here you can try-

1)
lom> break
to go to the ok prompt
OK boot -s
and if it comes up try to sort out the problem.

2)
lom> reset
lom> poweron
The server should now come up.

Best of luck

Steve

Booting into single user mode on a Sun Netra X1 server

1. Break into the lomlite shell "lom>" during boot
#.

2. from the lomlite shell use the "break" command. This will put you at the ROM prompt (OK)
lom> break

Note: I had to run through steps 1 and 2 twice before I was able to break out into the "ROM" prompt (OK)

3. ok> boot -s

4. Now re-mount "/" filesystem with read-write permissions
mount -o remount /
-Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

looks like something on the drive is corrupted, let us know if you manage to salvage it!!! Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

It is my understanding that if you have a lost root password you really only have three options on the Netra X1. (Boot from CD or Boot From network)

Option 1, This require that you have another user account with uid of "0". (This gives root access) Simple log into the account and reset the password.

Option 2, Open and mount an IDE cable to the internal IDE interface. Then use a Solairs ISO image to boot from CD.

Option 3, Set up a jumpstart server and boot from the network with this command "boot net -s"
A very simple jumpstart server can be created using the Solaris CD media or another SUN box.

If you need further instruction on any of this please let me know -Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

sunta,

The point is you can't CD-Boot an netraX1.

No CD

-Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

Netra X1 fails to boot to factory loaded preinstalled Solaris

1. Boot the system in single user mode.

OK boot -s

2. Put the entry for the host (ipaddress and hostname) in /etc/hosts file.

e.g: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hostname loghost

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> ipaddress of the machine
hostname --> Host name of the machine

3. Make sure that the network cable is plugged into the NET 0 (dmfe0 interface)
port.

4. Create a file /etc/hostname.dmfe0 with the hostname of the machine in it.

5. Put the hostname entry in the /etc/nodename file.

6. Edit the /etc/.sysIDtool.state file to make all the flags set to 1.

e.g: the file should read as follows.

/etc/.sysIDtool.state

1 # System previously configured?
1 # Bootparams succeeded?
1 # System is on a network?
1 # Extended network information gathered?
1 # Autobinder succeeded?
1 # Network has subnets?
1 # root password prompted for?
1 # locale and term prompted for?
1 # security policy in place
sun -- (depends on the terminal type that you feed in during the system
configuration)

7. init 0

8. Boot the system.
The system should prompt you for security policy and the root password.

9. Configure the system for nameservice (NIS,NIS+ etc) manually, if necessary.

regards Ph

Hey,

I had a similar problem on my NETRA X1. The easiest way to salvage the drive and get your system up and running as quickly as possible is to remove the drive and install it in another system. I placed the drive in my Blade workstation, did a simple boot -r, then ran FSCK on all the partitions of that drive. Be sure to run FSCK on each partition until all errors have been fixed, then place the drive back into the NETRA X1 and it should come up. The next thing I would do is invest in a Sunfire V100 ;-). They are the same as the Netra X1's except they have a CDROM in them ;-). I hope this is of some help

It may not be you drive that is corrupted. You may need to get to the OK prompt, and see what the alias is set to for your boot disk.

An easy way to do this is to type:

boot disk1

If that works then you're fine. If it doesn't, then type:

boot disk2

And see if that works.

Sometimes it is possible to change a device alias in the open boot prom and it will cause you sysm not to boot.

By default your system is set to "boot disk", which is an alias to the deafult boot disk. If the default boot disk has been changed, then boot disk would not work.

Hope this is of some help, if you haven't solved your problem yet...

Beg to differ... you can easily boot a Sun X1 from CD-Rom if you use a) a later release of Solaris 8 or Solaris 9, plug in any standard IDE cd-rom drive, I actually keep a $30 DVD-Rom drive I picked up an Microcenter here in the bay area in our co-location cabinets. Now this requires the X1 to only have a single hard drive as a dual drive system will be eating up both IDE cables. Pop open the top of the system, plug in a cd-rom drive and at the ok prompt type: boot cdrom and poof... you are off and running...

OK everyone - I have solved this - and the solution does NOT appear to be in any of the messages in this thread!!

YOU CAN BOOT FROM A CDROM!!

First of all - I opened the case to install an IDE cdrom drive, as suggested here. Well, you cannot, unless you have the special "small" IDE cable that the Netra needs. It looks IDE-ish but too small for ordinary cables... (OH BTW, I'm trying to do all this on a Netra T1, not X1 - but they are probably the same mostly)

Then I thought, "DAM-MIT Janet!" And thought of what a messy solder-er I was... no way!

I have an external SCSI CDROM. Ah HA! I had to find a 68pin to 50pin SCSI cable and I was ready.

Got all that done. Then I rebooted. Then I did the #. LOM thing. Then I did the lom>break - I had to do that a bunch of times until it actually "took" and gave me the ok> prompt.

I tried to do ok> boot cdrom
but it kept trying to find some IDE cdrom... Probably left over from when the system was first installed at the "shop" - i dunno...

so I tried ok> probe-scsi-all
It saw it, at least. From that it gave the long cryptic pci-scsi-disk-this-and-that string. I have my SCSI cdrom device number set to 6 - this is important.

Anyway - long story short = here's the boot string:
(drumroll please)
boot /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8,1/disk@6,0:f

That's it!! Your string may differ a little, but this should give you enough to troubleshoot it out!

It seems that CDROMs boot slice is on :f
The parts that may vary are "scsi@8,1" and "disk@6,0"

disk: target 6, unit 0
scsi: the 8,1 must mean the external SCSI connector, because the 2 internal hard drive came up on just "scsi@8" and one on target 0, unit 0 and the other on target 1, unit 0

So there you go. I hope this helps! Let me know if I can help... ;)

Incidently, if you are doing this so you can change the root passwd... there somethings you will have to do...

first get booted in with your CDROM - see my last posting.

you can do a format to see the partitions on the disks and figure out where the root slice is... typically it's in c0t0d0s0

# fsck -F ufs -y /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
# cd /a/etc

you may have to do
# TERM=vt100;export TERM
so that the vi screen isn't all messed up

Then vi the passwd and the shadow file
Take out the 2nd fields between the :'s (right after root: )
in the passwd file: root:x:0:1:...
in the shadow file: root:ck12i03fDZFg:0:11829:::::
then reboot - well, ACTUALLY don't!
That's what I did, and it did not work.

YOU HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING to these files on the disk mirror... assuming of course that you are using mirroring.
(you can tell that if you look at the vfstab - none of the mount points are c?t?d?s? - they are like /dev/md/dsk...)

So on the mirror disk:
fsck -F ufs -y /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /a/mnt
(I used this so I didn't have
to umount the other from /a )
cd /a/mnt/etc
vi passwd
vi shadow

"DO YOUR WORST!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search