Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netopia 910 VPN router connecting to a Linksys BEFVP41 - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

humour

Programmer
Nov 24, 2003

I want to connect a Netopia 910 Router to a Linksys BEFVP41 - will this even be possible?

IPSEC, 3DES, SHA, PFS - NOT, shared secret key - YES

I only have a vague idea of what all that means above.

Currently my VPN works between a BEFVP41 and BEFSX41. Using the ABOVE settings. However I need to reset the BEFSX41 constantly. Sometimes I dont have to reset it but my ISP tells me I get 'ghost' connections most likely caused by my faulty router.

I want to try the on-loan Netopia product to see if it solves my problem.

Any suggestions on how to set this up will be appreciated.

I should have tried updating my BEFSX41 firmware before I did all of this. Does anyone think this would really help?

~ Humour

Several hours later, mostly a case of RTFM I got these two routers to talk to each other..... !

If I document the settings would it be of interest to anyone if I posted it?

Hi Valtag, I installed the router in a division I visit rarely... But with persistance I did get the VPN router-to-router to work... The Netopia is quite a sophisticated beast...

Are you trying to do exactly the same thing...connect a Netopia to a Linksys

Let me know what your trying to do... I really wanted to document the stuff as I did it so I could share with the community but the darn thing (Netopia) uses Telnet as an interface... If I could some how just log the screens to file I could mail you all the settings I used...

If your really,really stuck I'll make a trip out and write the settings-- it will take some time...

I think im doing somthing different, I want to pass though a netopia r5300 and use the vp41 for the VPN connection. Im not sure how to set the netopia to pass through

Their is a tek sheet from netopia for connecting a VPN between a netopia and a linksys, if that helps anyone else and might list exactly what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back