Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetMeeting through PIX 515

Status
Not open for further replies.

secureinc

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
I need to open up MS NetMeeting on my PIX firewall. I have heard that NetMeeting is a huge security risk, but I still need this done. Below is my ACL...

access-list outside permit icmp any any
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq www
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq 1494
access-list outside permit udp any host 66.35.160.x eq 1604
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq ftp
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq telnet
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq 5631
access-list outside permit udp any host 66.35.160.x eq 5632
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq 8081
access-list outside permit tcp any host 66.35.160.x eq 8080

How do I open up NetMeeting? Please help, I am at a loss...

Thank you

you need to open tcp ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720 and 1731. Make sure you have 6.2.2 running on your PIX. Hope this helps!

Alternatives:

Pre 6.2.2 you can open those ports, create a static inside outside and run a little app to convert the inside IP to the external IP to route correctly (can't recall app name as I'm at home).

Or: Use Yahoo IM with its webcam software as that can use port 80 to go out and return to source IP which cuts down security risk.

You shouldn't need to open up anything other than the h323 port to whatever machine you want to connect to with net meeting. You must also have the fixup protocol h323 statement in your config.

The way the netmeeting protocol works (in a nutshell) is a control message is sent over the h323 port telling the destination netmeeting machine what dynamic ports will be used for this netmeeting session.

As long as you have a static mapping to the internal machine, and port h323 open, the cisco pix will intercept and look at all the h323 traffic. When it gets a legitimate h323 connection, it will dynamically open the necessary ports for that specific netmeeting session to happen.

I hope this helps.

Jcanuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back