Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetMeeting Conference [call number limit]

Status
Not open for further replies.

looka

Technical User
Oct 23, 2001
IT
hello, was trying to set up a video conference for about 50 win2k pro clients..
as explained in Microsoft Knowledge Base - 243116 [ ] there is a limit in the number of possible connections, it says 'Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation generally stops at 16 clients' and in effects my limit is of 16 connections to the 17th machine starting the meeting.
The article says about TcpNumConnections REG_DWORD value but I'm not so sure on how to change this in Win2k registry and I've not tried with this yet..
I could make some clients call each other and not the machine hosting the meeting, but I'd prefer not to permit clents making other calls during the conference as this is an educational project..
any idea?
thanks in advance

You will need to distribute the registry change to all clients. You could do this with email. The client needs to double click the file you will create to merge the results into the registry.

For non-Win9x clients, copy and paste the below into notepad as fix_netmeeting.reg
[tt]
***** copy and paste below this line ****
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"TcpNumConnections"=dword:00000100
********** end copy/paste above this line

hiya!
You mean that the limit is not only for the first machine hosting the meeting, but each client is to be considered connected to all in the meeting?
and when I add the TcpNumConnections key in registry what should be the decimal or hex value to set?
thanks

anyway I did a try adding the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"TcpNumConnections"=dword:00000100
using the reg.exe utility from the win2k support tools but no news yet..
the meeting is limited to 17 clients (one of them hosting)
sigh..;(
thanx anyway

Sorry, I just saw your postings.

It is a Hex value.
You need to enter some multiple of 8 (hex) or the value will revert to 8 in the alternative.

And yes, all clients.
That is why I tried to create for you a distributable .reg file.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back