Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear SC101 and VPN 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2002
GB
Can anyone assist with this situation.

A client has obtained a Netgear SC101, which he uses for storing documents and drawings for his business.

These can be accessed across his network without any problems at all, from both his desktop and laptop.

However, he also has a Netgear DGFV338 ADSL VPN Firewall Router, which again he has got working fine. He can connect using mobile broadband on his laptop to his desktop and printers.

However, he cannot connect to the SC101, either via IP Address, or using the SC101 client software. It is almost as if it is not using TCP/IP to connect, even though when using it on the LAN it is using IP Addresses.

Any Ideas?

Cheers,

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

heres a link 2 a german FAQ, read point 6,7,8, hope u understand german.
in short, point 6 says it uses a special filesysten (sfs)
point 7. it uses a special protocoll, not meantioned wich, over port 20001
point 8, it´s neither compatible to netbios, nfs, samba or ftp, if u wanne use it, mout it as a virtuall drive in windows and share that one

have a look for that faq on netgear.com, i couldnt find it

I might be misunderstanding the situation, but it sounds like a firewall issue. For some reason the VPN/firewall is not allowing the mobile PC to connect to the NAS. Add the NAS' MAC address and IP to the firewall's "allow" list or make an exception for it, and see what happens.

There might also be some filtering applications running on the NAS that might need adjustment as well.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I might be misunderstanding the situation, but it sounds like a firewall issue. For some reason the VPN/firewall is not allowing the mobile PC to connect to the NAS. Add the NAS' MAC address and IP to the firewall's "allow" list or make an exception for it, and see what happens.

I have had the firewall open for all access, and a connection still cannot be made. I suspect that Lemon13's suggestion is going to be the only way to do it.

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back