Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear FVS318 VPN with windows 2000 server network

Status
Not open for further replies.

limitup77

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2003
GB
Hi, thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this problem. I have a small windows 2000 server based network with a netgear FVS 318. I am using a dial up client running softremote to contact the FVS318, this obviously uses a dynamic IP address. I can ping the computers inside the network and use the router management screen but cannot use network neighbourhood to browse to them. I have netbios activated on the router and file sharing on the modem. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to make the servers available to the dial-up laptop.

Thanks!

Do you have WINS runnning on your server? If so you just have to add a line netgear

ms-wins w.x.y.z
ms-wins a.b.c.d

where w.x.y.z is your primary WINS server and a.b.c.d is your secondary server. Let me know if it helps!

Thanks confusedtekguy. Haven't got wins running on windows 2000... is this my fault!?

It's not installed by default, you have to go to control panel->add/remove programs->Windows Components->networking services and install it.

You legend, will try it tomorrow morning first thing. Many, many thanks.

Why is it required to use WINS in a 2000 environment or am I assuming too much? Are you using DNS and allowing for DDNS? Is your domain in native or mixed mode? If your domain is set up with DDNS (and it is working) and AD is set up you shouldn't have to use WINS for name resolution? DO you have any pre-2000 machines? Did I create more questions without any answers?

I have DNS working on my servers and now wins too... still unfortunately with no luck. Most machines are win 2000 or Xp pro, one older machine that will need wins. Pretty sure it's something to do with Ipsec and dynamic Ip addresses.

If anyone else has any ideas, would be very grateful for any help.

I have a new update and new question! I used "my computer" > search computer and put in the ip address of the server. It found it but stated there were NO LOGON SERVERS available. However I logged off and logged back as the local machine and low and behold under the same circumstances I was asked for username and password and all the resources became available.

Anyone any ideas how to log on whilst using the domain setup rather than the local.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the laptop set up to log on to WORKGROUP/DOMAIN = <<domain name>>? Seems like you should have to join it to the Win2K domain before you could log on.

Hope that's not a stupid question LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back