Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetGear FVS318 VPN to remote W2K client using IPSEC 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenzo

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi folks,
I have set up an established a VPN tunnel using IPsec policy (set up in the mmc) from a remote Windows 2000 client to my main Office VPN router (Netgear FVS318). I can ping the router and the main server on the main office LAN (after I added a static route into the router), I can also bring up the default web page on the server.
My problem is that I cannot access the any of the shares on the server or browse the network or anything like that.
I am concered that this may be due to the fact I am not "signing into" a VPN server, merely passing through the router, is there another step involved?
I have added a HOST and LMHOST entry on the local remote PC, the server's netbios name resolves ok, but I still cannot map to or browse the domain.
Should I add the remote computer name into the domain? I have tried to join the domain from the remote PC but it cannot find the domain I am trying to join.
I have found several posts on this site concerning this very problem. But none of them is very detailed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

mmaleit - Tek-Tips took notice of the extreme length of this thread and contacted me about it. They felt that it was getting too long to easily find answers and it had wandered far off topic - questions were being asked here that really should have been new posts! (And they were right, once I reminded myself of the subject of Darrenzo's original post)
Since their newsgroup software really wasn't equipped to split it into different posts, they wanted to cut it off where it started to get off-topic and asked where I thought that should be. I convinced them that although the SafeNet info was technically off-topic, it was important to NetGear users, so they agreed to cut it off right after the links to the SafeNet-to-FVS & FVL documents. They asked me to continue monitoring the thread and red-flag any new posts that weren't strictly on-topic (NetGear router to Win2k/XP client). Sure enough, every post up until now has been either off-topic or already answered in the existing thread.

However, yours is right ON the topic we all originally came here for! If you've got documentation on how you got the XP client to talk to a NetGear router, please share! (my email is in there somewhere, I'll post it on my site if you send it).

As for authentication, I know for a fact that pre-shared key is the ONLY authentication method the FVS is capable - no CA's [sad] You'd know better than I about the FVL, but I think the same is true for that model(?)

Also, something I didn't understand all that well when trying to connect to the native Windows clients - Those clients are capable of L2TP/IPSec, but the NetGear boxes do NOT do L2TP!! You have to tell Windows that it's NOT an L2TP connection. (Neither MS or NetGear really explain that well).

Meantime, I'd suggest that you repost this issue as a new thread. Probably get better response, and besides, maybe we can get another of these long threads going [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back