Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear FVS318 issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehartley

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2002
US
Recently acquired Netgear FVS318 unit. We're testing and hoping for best, impressed with low cost of box. Capabilities remain to be seen.

Question: Anyone had issue with entering new (and first) VPN entry in router config and then router not allowing access back into web interface via LAN? No other settings on PC or router were made. This was a straight connection from PC to router. Had to reset router firmware to get access back into. This has happened 2 times with each time I entered VPN settings (different settings each time for 2 seperate locations).

Netgear FVS318 firmware 1.2 with complete reset. Win2k Pro workstation on LAN, local to router.

Thank you.

FYI, all users of Netgear FVS318.

My above issue is created when a subnet ending is "0" is entered. Netgear (in character) said they were not sure how this caused the router to lock up and offer no additional help to resolve the problem.

To avoid, be sure not to enter a subnet ending in "0".

I am afraid I can not help answer your question at all at this moment in time, but take a look at google.co.uk and search the groups under netgear FVS318. I found loads of info but not what I was after so hope you may be able to help me.

I am looking to buy the FVS318 to attach to a home network. I (will) have an ADSL connection and want to know if I will need to buy a modem to use the router, or does the router also have the modem built in. I am looking at the FVS318 for its VPN capabilities also.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Yes, you will need a modem. The FVS318 does not have "dial" capabilities. Your modem would serve as the DHCP on the WAN side if your xDSl provider operates in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back