Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5000 with ServeRAID 3L

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahterps

MIS
Dec 30, 2003
US
Hello,
I have a Netfinity 5000 (PIII / 700Mhz with 500MB RAM) using a ServeRAID 3L card with 6-34GB drives. The system was running fine, no changes ect., then yesterday stopped responding to user requests (the server has an Oracle DB used in our Accounting Dept.) Upon reboot the POST recognizes the Array and the 4 logical drives with a status of 'OK' but the system will no longer boot to the configuration. I have updated the system BIOS and RAID 3L BIOS to the latest versions to no avail. I can go into the ServRAID utility CD and see all of the drives / arrays with no problem. The start up options in the machines BIOS is set to CDROM first, Hard Drive 0 second. I have tried different combinations in the startup process with no luck. I have a feeling the MotherBoard may be the culprit but would like to know if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks,
YeahTerps

hi,
in this situation I would not change bios: yesterday it was going. I have not understood:
- which OS
- 6 disk, 4 log drive...

If you try to boot from CD, do you see a bootable
partition on disks ( W2K consolle mode, repair ... ? )

(maby a virus in boot partition ? )

good luck

Hi,

If you have update the BIOS/Firmware without first updating the Drivers you are normally in a high risk of loosing all data. This is documented in the readme files for the ServeRAID.

However I am aware of that IBM has ways to force you do downgrade the BIOS and Firmware of the controller but you would need to contact their tech support for that information as I do not have it.

Regards

Techiegeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back