Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5000 RAID storage limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGotcha

Technical User
May 5, 2004
US
I am setting up a Netware5.1 server on a netfinity 5000, RAID5 on 5 18GB drives (4 data 1 parity) and was wondering if larger SCA (36 or 73BG) drives in the IBM drive carriers would work for future expansion. 73GB seems more than enought now, but things change. Also, did IBM ever have a storage array product for use with the 5000 via the 5000's RAID SCSI extern connection? Thanks!

Are you talking about the expansion unit?
If your raid card has external channels then you can use that to attach your expansion unit and create some new arrays on that.

The Netfinity 5000 supports up to 36GB HDDs, according to IBM's Server Proven Compatibility page ( ). Assuming you are using a RAID Controller (if you're not, you should be!!!), you can connect an external enclosure (the enclosures are also on this page) to one of the external channels of the RAID controller with larger drives, or simply add more drives (Logical Drive Migration) as your needs grow. If it were me setting it up, I would keep the external HDDs separate from the internal HDDs (different Array & Logical Drive), rather than span channels of the RAID controller to make one large volume to minimize the risk to the Operating System when Murphy's Law takes effect (it is not a question of if, it's when).

Thanks! That's a great resource for me. I am definitly using the RAID (it seems like a great controller) I definitly would keep int & ext drives in their own arrays (I usually use multiple volumes to keep expansion easy).
The 5000 is such a bargin right now, with more than enought resources for (non Windoze) Server apps. The IBM web site has complete drivers & utils for so many NOS and a great upgrade CD (image) for bringing these machines up to date.

A seperate parity drive is raid3 not raid5, raid5 both the data and parity are striped.

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back