Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5000 Processor Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavsteryoung

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2004
US
Hi, I have a NetFinity 5000 Model Number - 8659 3RY Server,

it contains one PII - 450 chip, my question is, can this server take a processor upgrade, as there are other NetFinity 5000 models that use dual PIII-700 and such like.

Just wondered if this machine will take a quicker CPU.

many regards

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

most likely it can. However on the IBM options site it does state that the 70mhz machines are specifically two the 7xx and 8xx models, normally though the planar is the same in all type models like the 8659-xxx
If you at the same time check the service parts info you will see that all boards are now the same for the machines.

Regards

Techiegeek

If your server has the original planar, FRU 61H2737, it will not support CPUs faster than 550 MHz. If the planar has been replaced with FRU 61H3382, it will support the faster processors up to 700MHz. Don't forget to add the correct VRMs!

Thanks guys for all your help its much appreciated....

Will be back soon with more questions.... im sure...

Ok, I told you I would have another question....

Using the IBM 6.10 Linux Server Manager disk I have managed to setup the raid disks...

my question is Im still getting a message saying SCSI Bios Not Installed.

I also have an IBM e-365 Blade type server and at the same point it instead of saying SCSI Bios Not Installed it finds the two hdd's.

Do I need to be worried about the 5000 server saying SCSI Bios not Installed....

many thanks for your patients...

Gavin

Check out the post listed in IBM servers forum posted on 01/14/04 (posted 01/13/04). The thread is IBM Netfinity 5000.

techieGeek has some good trouble shooting info that should help you.

Dan

Gavin:
The Netfinity 5000 has an onboard SCSI chipset. If you are booting to a ServeRAID Controller, the SCSI BIOS for the onboard will not load - SCSI BIOS is what enables the server to boot to a device attached to that controller. If a bootable device is not found, the SCSI BIOS will not load - this is normal. Some things you can do to make the server boot more efficient are to install the ServeRAID Controller in Slot 5 (so BIOS will see the RAID card before the onboard SCSI), and enter Ctrl+A when prompted to disable SCSI BIOS. If nothing is attached, select "Disable:DO NOT SCAN BUS" if something (like a tape device) is attached, select "Disable:SCAN BUS". This will prevent the SCSI controller from attempting to load BIOS to boot and unloading when no bootable devices are detected. You will still get the message SCSI BIOS not installed, but it will prevent the slight chance of a boot failure related to timing of the SCSI BIOS unloading while the RAID BIOS is attempting to load. Sorry for the long answer, but it's correct :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back