Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetCobol Wrapper Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantar

MIS
Jan 17, 2003
US
I'm using the NetCobol Wrapper Wizard to setup an installation for a PowerCobol (v 7) app, and although it installs fine on a Windows 98 or 2000 pc, I get errors on Windows XP. The message indicates that the installation requires the latest version of the MS Installer, and it asks if I want to install it. I then get a messsage that indicates that I have the wrong OS for installation.

I thought Windows XP already had the latest installer loaded. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

It sounds like a registry issue. I had a simular problem with V6 last year. After contacting Fujitsu, they sent me a registry fix to clear up the problem. That was on the Data Access version.

My guess is you have the wrong version of the MS installer documented in your registry somehow. Did you install XP over an old version of windows?

I am no longer on Maint. with Fujitsu or I would ask the question for you. Maybe someone out there knows what registry entry to look at or Microsoft may have some information on this issue.

Again, all this is just a guess since I run XP with Version 7 and have not experienced the problem. Have you tried another XP machine?

etom

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, I have tried the installation on several machines with XP, including both Pro & Home. I get the same error on all.

I do have the support wih Fujitsu. I'll check with them.

Thanks again.

Great, if you get the answer from fujitsu please post an answer to this question just in case someone else has this problem in the future.

etom

I sent the question to Fujitsu, and they responded that this error had been reported before and was solved by updating XP with all the critical updates. The one that really seems to make a difference, though, is service pack 1. I applied all the updates but that, and there was no difference. Once I applied the service pack, the problem went away.

Sounds like a microsoft issue to me. Glad you were able to fix the problem. I already had service pack 1 installed so I guess that is why I do not have the problem.

etom

Hey dantar, how was the response time from Fujitsu Support? I've heard some stories both good and bad. How did it go for you?

The response time with them is pretty good, usually within 24 hours. It's always the same guy that answers, unless they use a generic name. I wonder just how big their support staff is. But he has been pretty helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back