Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbuilder 442 Boot.68k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsystech

Technical User
Oct 17, 2004
US
I have recently obtained a second hand 3Com SuperStack II NETBuilder SI 442 U IP/IPX/AT Router 3C8442

The previous owners had wiped it clean and there is currently no boot.68k loaded into eeprom.

Unfourtunatly i do not have any documentation or any software at all for my router.

I have tried searching 3com's Knowledge base and there download list but i can't seem to find a boot.68k suitable for this router.
does anyone know where i can locate a boot file for the 442?

Any and all help is appriciated. Thanx

HI Coldsystech,
This may be a little late, but I found your posting during a web search...
I have also just obtained a used SI442 and an SI 142. Both units seem to have all the software and manuals with them.

If you still need this software, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the CD.

By the way - I'm trying to find out how to reset the unit to factory defaults (or just reset the password, as I can't log in). Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have stacks of them w/the boot.68k missing and I have been told by vendors that repair them that they would not touch them. So they sit and grow dust on them. But I do know how to break in w/out the passwords.

w/a slender, blut object, depress the reset switch located just forward of the DIP switches (left side of unit and have unit on). This will change the prompt to ">". At this point type BT A:/PRIMARY/BOOT.68K A:/NEWPW

hit enter

system reboots and does not load the configs from primary directory. Then remove the system file and reboot to reset passwords. You can do this by
cd a:/primary
df
rf system
Then power cycle.

I just received a superstack 442 and a 222. I found this forum looking for how to reset the password, so I've onlyu been her for an hour or so. Topmail--I couldn't find a way to contact you privately, but if the CD you have has documentation on it, if I could get a copy too, I would love it. Thanks.

To ImpetusEra: If you meant me, thanks, my router has the software, I'm looking for documentation

To topmail: do you have documentation on CD or just software?

Basically, I have found a few manuals (for the hardware) on the 3com website, but I'm not sure how to identify the correct manual(s) for software other than to download them one at a time and look at them, the titles I get by doing a search on documentation/routers from the download page don't sound anything like my routers, and maybe my routers are old enough I won't find exactly the correct manual, but then how do I identify one that is a later version of my router and probably the same plus some To new features....

thanks very much for the info. Topmail I would extremly appreciate having a copy of that CD. for the past few months my stack has also been a giant dust gathering paper waight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back