Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbios Name Rsolution Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElijahBaley

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2001
GB
Hi

I am running NT server with WINS distributed to clients using DHCP.

All of my W2K machines can access our Exchange server via its NetBios name 'MAILSERVER' and when I ping MAILSERVER I get the correct private IP returned 10.10.10.7

However none of my Win9x machines can resolve the MAILSERVER name to 10.10.10.7 - in fact when I ping MAILSERVER the CMD tries to ping
Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

(I can ping the server by IP)

THX

EB

Howdy ElijaBailey,

Use IPCONFIG /all, at the COMMAND prompt to confirm the 98 PCs have the address of the WINS server(s). Next register the 98 PCs with WINS servers using NBTSTAT -RR (must use capitals), at the COMMAND prompt. Then use ping with -a the netbios name.

If the 98 PCs do not have the correct address of the WINS, readjust your scope to include this on your DHCP server. Be sure to set the node type to P mode.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info,

The workstations are registering the WINS server address, although I have currently got the node type set as 'H'

When I ping a netbios name I sometimes get the expected result (private ip) but sometimes a DNS query seems to be initiated as the ping utility adds a FQD name to the search for example:

ping workstation1

Reply from 10.10.10.1 bytes=32 TTL128
OK

ping workstation2

pinging workstation2.co.uk with 32bits data

I think that I have a nightmare problem involving WINS, the browser service and DNS (DNS is resolved for internet addresses only using ISP DNS servers)

Thanks for your help, any further thoughts?

Cheers

EB

In case anyone ever looks in - I had a corrupted TCP/IP stack, so I just re-installed TCP/IP and re-built WINS and DHCP.

Works a treat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back