Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbios Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTech

MIS
Feb 13, 2002
US
(This is all on a test lab right now)

After installing windows 2000 server, I have promoted it to a Domain Controller. I have selected to install AD in pre-windows 2000 mode. All is well, however after switching to Native mode, th login screen (ctrl-alt-del) still displays the Netbios Domain Name. What gives?

I then demoted the bad boy, and went through the promotion process this time selecting Windows 200 server only. And again after making it native the login screen still shows the netbios name.

What blows me a way is that while I was doing the exact same thing at school. The login screen always shows the FDQN.

An ideas? Im getting fustrated.

well.. I can login as administrator@domain.com

domain.com just isnt a selection at the login screen. weird..

disregard.

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

Red,

About you sniffing glue; Can you share some of that glue because I am having the same problem!!

Can login with FQDN but can not see the FDN in the 'log on to' box... only those damn NETBIOS names

Help appreciated...

Hi All,
I am having the same problem with the NETBIOS domain name. I would like to switch it to the FQDN name. How is this done? I noticed someone has the answer but didn't post what it was.
Thanks
Paul

by default Windows 2000 will show the netbios version of your domain name. Unless there is trick I don't know about. There is no way around this..

----------------------
"Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world."

There is no way to change it? I could have sworn that domains I have seen use the DNS nbame at the login menu. What if you had 2 domains like example1.domain1.com and example1.domain2.com? Then at the login screen you wouldn't be able to tell which was which just from the NETBIOS name.
Paul

"What if you had 2 domains like example1.domain1.com and example1.domain2.com?" I believe at this point there would be a netbios name conflict on the network no 2 machines can have the same netbios name. I believe this is done for backward compability with Win9x machines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back