Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasboy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2003
US
We have about 150 computers and 20 or so are windows 98. The rest are 2000 or XP with 2 2003 MS servers running AD, WINS, DHCP and DNS. Using Ethereal the other day I noticed a ton of NBNS Name Query's coming from all of the windows 98 machines looking for a server that has been gone for a long time (multiple years). Why? I've used NBTSTAT, looked at the lmhost and can't find the name of are old server anywhere in them. Anyone got any tips to stop this from happening? Unfortunately we have to use win98 for a bit longer due to the software we are using.

Thanks

Have you done a "Find" in the registry of one of those Win98 systems to see if there's a reg-entry with the name of that missing server? I'll bet you'll find it there. Once you do, post the key/entry here, so we can figure out whether it can be deleted/changed, and so that posterity will have a record of the solution.

ShackDaddy

Ok, I did a find in the registry for that server and only 3 had it in the reg. Two had this [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List]
"File1"="\\\\SPLSERVER1\\OPACs\\SPLOPAC.bmp"

and one had this:

"[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU"

So that still leaves about 17 of them without anything in the registry.

I guess it must not be the registry. Anymore ideas?

Thanks

Doesn't sound like the registry is a good lead. Does your server have a WINS or DNS record for the old server? Was the old system a domain controller? What were its primary roles?

Do the 98 machines have a hosts or lmhosts file? These were used quite a lot on 98 machines. Not needed after that. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Education is the best provision for old age."
Aristotles (384 BC-322 BC); Greek philosopher.

The old systen was a NT 4 PDC. Authentication was it's primary role along with file sharing for users. The name of this old server is not in Wins or DNS on our 2003 servers (which replaced our 2000 servers which replaced our NT 4 servers, physically). I have also checked every win98 computers lmhosts and hosts file.....nothing.

It must be some software program installed calling for our old server, I will check that out next.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back