Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETBEUI cp reported error 733

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwigen

Technical User
May 16, 2005
GB
i get this message when i connect using vpn.
one or more network protocols did not connect successfully,
TCP/IP cp connected successfully.
NETBEUI cp reported error 733: your computer and the remote computer could not agree on the PPP control protocols.
press accept to conection as it is or hang up....
i am using xp and trying to connect to a server 2003 machine.
Any solutions?

turn off Netbeui - I don't see why you would need it

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

you will needs netbui if you needs to browse computers on the network over the vpn connection. Yo see machines in My network places.

ROUTERKID1....thanks for the advise but i can't find netbeui in server2003??? and also who can assist me with the original question?
cheers!

To Routerkid1's point :
that's not true - if you install WINS on your windows 2003 server, and if you configure your VPN client to use WINS; and configure your local clients to use WINS also, then you will be able to browse the network just fine
Don't use Netbeui - you don't need it anymore

kwigen : you should look on the client, not on the server
Disable netbeui on the client,
set up WINS on the server,
configure all clients to use WINS and you will be fine
(if you are using DHCP, then you can set the WINS server and the node type (set to hybrid) options in the DHCP scope options

good luck

How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?

peterve, thanks for your response....
how do i set up the wins on the server?
thanks.

well, it's as easy as adding the WINS component to the server,

(go to add/remove software, add/remove windows components, look for networking services and enable 'WINS'
You don't need to configure anything within the WINS service. It just runs and does what it's supposed to do.

Then make sure your server itself and all of the clients to use the IP address of the server as their primary WINS server. (TCP/IP properties)
Reboot and you're all set

good luck

peterve... thanks alot i will give it a whirl and let you know how i get on...
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back