Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetBackup v7.1 NDMP Restore Failure to NetApp OnTap 7.3.3P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJHJ

MIS
Oct 18, 2012
US
I have a NetBackup v7.1 GCO-Clustered environment running on Solaris 10 (64-bit) using SLP's to backup to Data Domain DD860 Archivers. The backups appear to run fine with no errors or issues. When I try and restore to my Netapps using the NDMP protocol from any backups that have not alredy expired, the restores fail with NetBackup error 2813. I have successfully restored to my NetApps with this same environment for previous dates, but not lately. There have been no changes to NetBackup, Netapp nor Data Domain environments. I'm going thru our Change Control tickets to see if any other environmental changes may have caused this condition as a downstream effect.

My NetApps are FAS3160's Active/Active Clustered running OnTap 7.3.3P3

My Servers for Windows, UNIX (all flavors) and Macintosh backup and restore fine with no issues from the same NBUP 7.1 system and same DD860 Storage Pool. Only the NetApp filers are giving me a restore headache. I've tried a re-directed restore from one filer to the other filer and get the same results.

I've disabled/re-enabled the NDMPD Daemon on the filers to no change in restore results. I've opened cases with Symantec, NetApp and Data Domain. The error seems to be generating from the NetApp filer side, but has anyone ever run into this or a similar issue? Any idea what the fix will be?

Thanks!
Ed

No add'l details so far and I've got clean health checks on both NetBackup & Data Domain environments. I'm turning my focus to the network switches to see if that could cause sporadic communication issues. We have Cisco Nexxus 7000 Series switches.

As soon as I have more info I'll post it.

So have you done successful NDMP restores since this? Is it random/sporadic? Can you give me any logs to look at? Are you sure yu didn't modify anything with your SLP?

It's still sporadic and the SLP's work fine for all other non-NDMP policies. I'm seeing more articles around this error lately so at least I'm not the only one who's run into it. I've tested NDMP on my NetApp and all works fine with no issues; simulating ndmp backups and resotres using ndmpcopy.

More recent articles point creating the NDMP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT file on the NetBackup media server and giving it a value above 1440 minutes (24 hrs) and re-testing. I'm also going to create a test backup policy and not use an SLP and see if makes any difference.

Have you had your storge guy put the filer in debug mode? When I've run into problems with NDMP backups the debug logs can be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back