Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netbackup schedule problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

noveltis

MIS
Feb 28, 2005
FR
Hello,

I have a problem with scheduler, I have two types of schedules:
- 1 per day : incremental backup
- Each sunday : full backup

The incremental backups runs without problem, but since 2 weeks, the full backup doesn't start. I have to start it manually each monday morning.

I don't know Netbackup, can you help me to solve this problem ?

thanks in advance

The manual backups are probably the cause, if you have the full frequency set to 1 week.

What happens is that the backup is run on Monday and it will wait 1 week (7 days) until it will allow the backup to run again.

Solution:
Set the frequency to 6 days. That way if you run it manually on Monday, then it will be due to run again 6 days later which will put it back on Sunday.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

My suggestion would be to use the Calendar schedule type instead of Frequency. That way you can run a Full backup anytime during the week and still have the full backup run on its normal scheduled day. I use this for all my weekly & monthly backups. Using the calendar is fairly self-explanatory.

My suggestion would be to use the Calendar schedule type instead of Frequency. That way you can run a Full backup anytime during the week and still have the full backup run on its normal scheduled day. I use this for all my weekly & monthly backups. Using the calendar is fairly self-explanatory.

Are there problems with the Calendar schedule type? I thought I have seen a lot of problems with backups when calendar type is used instead of using the frequency type.

Yes there have been reports of problems with the Calendar schedules. I prefer the frequency schedule type. It works in our enviroment very well and is very easy for me to manage. But everybody has their favorate way of doing things. But as Stumpr says in your current set up just reduce your ferquency setting to 6 or less days. You will not notice any differant in the day to day running of the schedules.

If you are using frequency based scheduling...
First establish when the backup is allowed to start.
This is referred to as the "Window of Opportunity" (Woo) :)
The schedule will only be active during that specified time.

The Woo must exist before a frequency is even considered.
It doesn't matter if you have the frequency set for 1 day.
If the Woo only exists on Sunday then the backup will only run on Sunday.
Next, set the frequency of how often the schedule can run.
The frequency MUST be more than the Woo or it may run twice.
The frequency MUST be short enough to use the defined Woo.

For example an activated policy has:
Woo = Sunday 6AM to 6PM (12 hours)
Frequency = 1 day
The backup will be queued at 6AM on Sunday because
1) the Woo is active
2) the scheduled time has elapsed (1 day)

The backup will NOT be queued on Mon, Tues,..etc
because the Woo isn't defined for those days.
Remember this poem: (well sorta kinda poem)
The Woo
MUST be true
before a backup
can be queued

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back