Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup Media Manager not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtefx

MIS
Mar 20, 2006
US
I'm running Netbackup 4.5 on a Solaris 9 box connected to a StorEdge L8 tape library. Things were running great prior to this week where we encountered a bad tape. I tried to clear the jobs and errors from the Activity Monitor, but it was still not responding. It seem to halt some processes. I can't run a complete netbackup stop to restart it. When I run netbackup stop from the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies directory, it will stop the NetBackup Request daemon and the NetBackup database daemon but will sit on the Media Manager device daemon until I close the console.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can get past this problem? I've also power cycled the tape device and it didn't seem to help much. In side the java gui I can see my media list but when I access devices it shows my master server as being disconnected... upon trying to connect I get mm error codes 39 and 146 I believe. Not exactly sure where to go, as I'm pretty green to this. Thanks in advanced for any assistance.

I should also point out that the StorEdge L8 is currently on SEQ not the standard autoloader. I'm not sure if Netbackup has a process that needs to run to detect this.

In the MM Processes:

I have the

ltid
vmd
oprd -sockfd 5 -nosig

The last process has about twelve instances running. I've also tried to do a stopltid but it did not respond. I tried to do a kill process and it didn't do anything for that either.

And for the life of me, I can't end or kill the ltid process.

have you tride a bp.kill_all or 77netbackup stop to shut down all the deamons?

yeah...I've had to kill -9 ltid more than once...gets annoying :-(

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

I've tried the 77netbackup stop and also the bp.kill without any Success. I've also tried the kill -9 on the PID several times without success. I think my next step is to try to just restart the server, it's just such a hassle to bring the db's down. Hopefully that solves it and its not something deeper. The var messages show some warnings

Mar 16 03:16:04 frodo scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2,1 (mpt1):
Mar 16 03:16:04 frodo Target 5 reducing sync. transfer rate

I'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back