Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netbackup change servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad1945

MIS
Oct 28, 2003
US
Hello everyone:

I have currently netbackup 5.1, at which I am preparing to upgrade to 6. However, I also have an old Sun system, that I am planning on changing to a different Solaris BOX, one with more memory and cpus. Just looking for some thoughts of a good way to change physical servers. My initial thought was to treat it as a “crash” and just run bprecover after an initial install, so in hopes of keeping a lot of settings.
I do have a choice if I want to completely change the OS to Linux, however my thought tells me to get it on the new platform, then do the upgrade to 6 afterwards. Anyone changed their backup master platforms lately?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Scott

You cannot bprecover your 5.1 catalogs to a fresh install on NBU6.0.

Build out your new 5.1 - bprecover it - upgrade in place to NBU 6.0

Sorry I may not of been clear. My intent was to get my current versions of backup 5.1 on the new platform, and after this is working as it should do the upgrade later since i know you also have to do the database portion as the last part of the upgrade, this was sort of a pre-req i wanted before upgrading.

So it sounds from your reply, a bprecover would be the best way to "switch servers" ?
thanks

It is the Veritas supported way, yes.

I have dragged catalog files over the wire in the past with success.

Just make sure you use the same partition/paths for NBU and server name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back