Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netbackup catalogue replication HA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm42

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
GB
hello

is the following posible...?

location 1
win3k
netbackup master/media server

location2
win3k
netbackup media server

Master server, at location 1 does a Catalogue backup to media server at location 2.

If location1 master server is down, could I restore catalouge to netbackup media server at location 2 and make this the master, as a cheap high availabilty solution?

With enough time and money you can do most anything.

Things to consider
1. different location = different network?
2. firewalls
3. hardware configurations
4. client updated to new master

Bob Stump
VERITAS - "Ain't it the truth?"

stumpr

thanks for swift response

I have had a look at some netbackup docs but cannot find anything but veritas cluster server HA stuff

do you know where I can look for info?

there is a network link between location1 and location2 servers

is what im trying to do, stupid or reasonable?

I wouldn't do it because there is too much pressure to get back to production state after a DR situation. I would much rather have a separate server (not an existing medis server) set up for instant availability.

Bob Stump

stumpr
ok , I get that concern.
i dont have much choice, no budget here for an enterprise soloution like VCS with EMC BCV.

thanks for that, if you have any other ideas which does not involve 3rd party vendors, please let us know.

I saw this last night (Catalogue Replication)
for anyone who may be interetsed, have not tried it, looks botchy but may work

rsync does work. We run rsync via cron 3 times a day. We use it and test it quarterly.

But again, even in the solution in the link you provided, it is not being sent to an existing media server of the production master. It is being sent to another server that is setup to be a DR masterserver.

Bob Stump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back