Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetBackup 6.5.1 policy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayml

Technical User
May 13, 2008
US
Just upgraded from 5.1 on Saturday. ALL policies when edited make the console blow up and die when you have accessed schedules and clicked on 'Calendar Schedule' or 'Exclude Dates'.

A small box pops up first and says "Member not found." and the only option is to hot OK and when you do, the console blows away. You can start it again but since it didn't exit properly, it has stolen some RAM for it's process.

Guess what? Symantec levels 1, 2, 3, have NO clue how to fix this problem.

Guess what? Symantec levels 1, 2, 3, have NO clue how to fix this problem.

Maybe so, but are you going to give them a chance ???

If you haven't seen the problem before, it is a little unreasonable to expect them to know the answer sraight away.

I had one the other day, really odd issue, and at first I had absolutley no idea how to fix it, or even no clue.
The customer was understanding, and I explained that I would fix it, but it may take some time and involve a little trial and error. We fixed it, I'm happy, customer is happy, and I'm now trying to find out the cause.

I'm not claiming to have the answer either. I would try to access a Policy and Schedule via a different interface. Have your tried accessing the Policy & Schedules via the Java interface, character cell interface, or perhaps via the command line interface? Have you tried accessing the Master Server from a remote Admin console running 6.5?

Most of the Master Servers I deal with are running a flavor of UNIX, therefore I am not as knowledgeable about Windows. The alternate means of managing yuor Policies and Schedules might not be ideal, but they might provide an interim solution and help support in troubleshooting the problem.

I hope when you do find the solution you will post it here, so we can all benefit from your findings.

Workaround WORKED: I installed the JAVA console and now I can get to schedules wouthout the console blowing up. I can also access the console from any of my 13 media servers by just changing the host. Symantec still has no answer on how to fix the original master's console other than reinstalling and recovery of the catalog.

The symptom "console blowing up" doesn't really help diagnose the issue. Were you using the Windows Administration Console and it was terminating?

Ditto, to OzzMosiz' reply. Might be interesting to verify if the Admin Console was run locally on the Master Server (terminal server session or physically at the console). We very seldom run the Admin Console on the Master Server via the Windows GUI, rather via a remote admin console installed locally on out desktops, or via a Java session (again, locally initiated). All of our upgrades on Windows servers are ALWAYS done with either a local install or via a mapped drive installation; using a UNC drive on a server is cause for trouble (and it is documented).

Will be interesting to hear the final resolution to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back