Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup 5.0 mp6 robot slot problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfieldz

MIS
Feb 21, 2006
US
Hi we are running NBU 50.MP6 with a large storagetek robotic library. We keep a physical log of all sdlt tapes that are inventoried - IN and Deferred ejected -Out, for good record keeping. Problem: when viewing the MEDIA LIST of tapes present in the library sequetialy by slot number, NBU is reporting some numbers missing. For instance, their should be tapes in slot 1 - 37 but in the media list slot 22, 24, 25, & 36 is missing. I can physically see the tapes in the slots though. I run a "show contents" , "compare contents" and "update volume confiuration" from within the inventory robot options and no descrepencies are reported and yet those slots mentioned above are just missing / skipped over. I have already rebooted once. Should I shut down, empty the library, start up and re-inventory all the tapes? Any suggestions? Thanks again......J

Can you perform an inventory/audit using the robotic software?

I am not familiar or sure if there is such software installed on this master server but will find out shortly. I am covering for someone and believe I would have been informed during my short training session. Will get back to you...

The robotic software is Veritas Netbackup 5.0 MP6, the software this thread is for. There is no other 3rd pty robotic software. The answer is yes I have performed an inventory / audit and this is where I am getting my information from: The Inventory Robot -- shown in my orginal message. Thanks anyway........J

Sounds like there may be a problem with the library not recognizing the media. You can check in NetBackup to see if you have any media listed starting with A#####. This is the default numbering when the robot can't read the barcode, so instead of skipping it, it gives it a number starting with A00000 and puts it in the library. If you have these, try ejecting them and see which ones they are. Once ejected, make sure the barcode label is straight and in good condition and the right type.If that's all ok, you can probably try to re-inject them and it may work. You then should remove the A##### tapes. First make sure they do not have any images on them, then delete them if they don't or let them expire on their own if they do then delete them.

Another way to look at this is to manually remove them from the library and see if you can re-inject them and see if the robot sees them fine. make sure the barcode label is ok.

There could also be a problem with the library not seeing this slot. If none of the above works, I'd contact STK.

Thank you RustyMajor, but there were no entries in the media list that resembled A#####. As I said previously in my list by slot number, some numbers were skipped ie; 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 11 etc. This morning I attempted a deferred eject which yielded a few tapes. I then added a few tapes to the library and in the interum of the inventory, the robot added the slots that were missing. No explaination. Our agency has a brand new LTO robot and master server waiting to be deployed because the unit I have been discussing is over 5 years old and on its last leg. Still have to keep it alive until the replacement is ready though. I thank you for the suggestion and will remember that for the future..J

Usually when you have a "large" STK robotic library you run a STK software called ACSLS that keep's track of where tapes are at in the library.

You say you can see the tapes, so the library isn't a large library. It's probably an L700

I'd use the Robtest command and manually try and pick up one of the tapes and eject it or move it to the door slot/cap.

Thank you Vela. I had posted previously that I made a mistake on the model of Library we have. The new library is a storagetek 60 tape lto, which is not the subject of my post, my mistake its the Dell 50 tape sdlt library which has been continuously failing. PS over the last few days of adding tapes to the library (after deferred ejects), the slots housing tapes that were not showing in the media list, all randomly showed up during inventory robot use. Go figure... By the time I become an expert at managing this deteriorating library, We'll have the new Storagetek deployed.....J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back