Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetApp failes to backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuta

MIS
May 29, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm running Networker 6.1.3 on Solaris8. I'm having problems backin up NetApp which is mounted to the backup server. I'm getting the following errors

* onomatopoeia:/flyer/home 5 retries attempted
onomatopoeia:/flyer/home: No full backups of this save set were found in the media database; performing a full backup
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/home has been inactive for 30 minutes since Mon Apr 7 01:42:02 2003.
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/home is being abandoned by nsrexec.
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/home aborted due to inactivity
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/master 5 retries attempted
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/master save: error, save failure
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/master save: shutdown failed
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/products 5 retries attempted
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/products save: error, save failure
* onomatopoeia:/flyer/products save: shutdown failed
* onomatopoeia:index 5 retries attempted
* onomatopoeia:index save: error, save failure

Increasing the timeout period was not helpful. /flyer [netapp] directory has other mounts in it, but they manage to be backed up sometimes. Combined, the directories are about 800gigs.

I was thinking of maybe using NDMP to backup netapp - does that work well? We used to have a NetApp module for legato - I did not like it.

Thanks you in advance for the help,
anna
anna.arbit@Micromuse.com

you need to install networker version 6.2. it has better support for backing up NDMP type devices.

Try to "save" the mounts manually first. As the successful
operation is mandatory to work, you should ensure this
before you proceed to the scheduled backup.

-------------------------------------

Backing up via NDMP is great - it soilves a lot of problems. The "old" NDMP client worked via NetApp's web
interface and is very slow due to using this mechanism.

Regards, Carsten

You are better off using the NetApps module to back it up.

You are currently mounting the NetApps filer to your Solaris sever via NFS, correct? This is generally problematic, since the data has to be transferred to the server first, then saved to the backup device. It is the delay because of NFS that can cause timeouts.

However, if you insist on using this configuration, then make sure that manual backups work first. Then perform a savegrp backup with verbose and debug mode to see what the point of failure is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back