Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net4.11 server shutdown, no access to system drive, users & passwords 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulS

MIS
Nov 23, 1998
US
Customer server went down, and as each user logged out, could not log back in. Server boots up OK until it loads Arcserve 4, then unloads ARCSERVE.NLM. System cache info shows caches at or near 100%. Ran DSREPAIR several times to get errors down to 3. Work stations running Windows 3.x can access server drive via bindery connect, Win98 & 95 do not. Can not login even with Admin & admin password. Called Arcserve tech support (they suggested DSREPAIR), tech figured problem is NDS is corrupt, suggested removing and re-installing.<br>
Can this be done without losing other files, and how is it done?

PaulS again, decided to re-install Novell server. Got to the point where it asks about re-partitioning the HD or keeping the non-Novell partitions intact. I choose the latter and arrived at the authentication screen, entered the info and could not get it to authenticate.<br>
Any ideas?<br>
At this point I had to cancel the installationtil after Turkey Day.<br>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope they were making backups of some kind. Reinstalling Netware w/o deleting the old nwserver directory is pretty messy too.

Phage:<br>
Thanks for the info; I did re-install the server software and everything is working OK. The only backup needed went onto a hard drive via a work station on Win 3.11 accessed via bindery connection. No Win 95 WS would connect this way, any ideas?<br>
The Win 3.11 station now has a message concerning vnetware.386, but I downloaded it from Novell site and will install.<br>
Thanks,<br>
PaulS

Next time load server -na (no autoexec.ncf)<br>
Load install and run each autoexec command manually until<br>
you hit a snag. At least you know where the error is.<br>
<br>
Yes, you can remove and reinstall NDS, but you will LOSE<br>
everything that is in the NDS. If your previous tapes were<br>
good, you could then restore it.<br>
<br>
Glenn

Abelson:<br>
Thanks for the info, it will cut down the time to fix the situation if it happens again.<br>
Thanks,<br>
PaulS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back