Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net work windows xp with win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

balajee

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
NZ
Is it possible to network peer to peer machine with Windows XP with another one having Windows 98? How?

Thanks

Yes.

Just set them both to use TCP/IP and assign each one an IP address

Thanks for the quick response. Actually I want this XP machine to connect to the network which is already present. This is peer to peer network and there are total 4 Windows 98 machines connected. Could you please give me the steps to connect this XP machine to this network.

Thanks

First you need to find out what protocol your network is using. It is most likely TCP/IP or NetBEUI.

If you find these directions too confusing, use the Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP at Start> All Programs> Acceseries> Communications.

If it is TCP/IP change all the IP addresses. The first computer should be 192.168.1.1, the second 192.168.1.2, the third 192.168.1.3, the forth 192.168.1.4, the fifth 192.168.1.5

Each computer MUST have a different IP address, but the subnet must be the same. Change the subnet to 255.255.255.0
Uninstall any other protocols that are not in use. On the XP PC: Go to start > connect to> Show All Connections. Right-click on Local Area Connection and click on properties. Set all the TCP/IP settings for your network adapter.

If you are using NETBEUI, you must install this protocol from the Windows XP CD. It is available in the folder D:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI (where D is your CD-ROM drive)
Follow the directions in the text file.

Do not use Netbeui. As your network grows this will cause problems if you are trying to access the Internet. Netbeui is not a routable protocol. First of all all you need to do is install TCP/IP on your XP machine. I'm not sure if you have leased IP addresses or just assigned your own. If you have leased please post your subnet mask and address scheme and I can help you make sure that the computer will be on the same network. If you assigned your own IP's make sure your subnet mask is 255....that way it will be a broadcast and any IP will be able to see eachother on the network. -Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' :-D

1) Ensure that the XP is in the same workgroup (exact same name of workgroup)
2)Follow masterpjz9's advice on IP addressing
3) make sure there is a users account setup on XP for each of the computers that will be using the shares.
4)share any folders you want the others to access
5) ensure firewall on XP is disabled or at least allows access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back