Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net work sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimestone

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
CA
OK I've hundreds of XP networks, this is my first look at Windows7, what a pain, thank god for Google. However I can't get past this problem. 3 computers all had the same computer names, so I changed them, computer 1 and 2 can share printers and files not problem, computer 3 is seen by 1-2 but can't access. Of course sharing is on, I've checked windows fire wall setting and they match the other 2 computers.

One thing I noticed when viewing home network setting is that computer 3 is on Network 4, however the other 2 computers are on Network 3, can I change that? and how?

Computer 3 is accessing a shared printer from computer 2 with no problems and can share file with both the other computers

Thanks for your help

Computers are like a bag of hammers, they won't do a damn thing until you pick it up and SMASH something with it!!

Did you setup a homegroup from the first pc, and then use the password to connect to the homegroup from the other 2 after you gave each computer a password and changed their names to unique computer names? The number for the network means nothing, just represents either additional network adapters, or network configurations on the pc, not on the network.

What does the command IPconfig /all tell you about the 3 computers?

I assume you are rebooting these computers after any changes you make to them concerning Networking.

I find setting them up as a Workgroup rather than as a Homegroup a more reliable setup.

is it also possible that one of the PC's is in a public network, where more restrictions apply as to network accessibility...

and I agree with Linney, Workgroup setup is less of a hassle than using the Homegroup setup...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for your help, turned out to be request password was turned on, but the funny thing is, it never asked for a password, or any place to enter it. Turn password off and found the printer right away, stupid windows7, if only it was XP wouldn't have had this problem...

Thanks again

Computers are like a bag of hammers, they won't do a damn thing until you pick it up and SMASH something with it!!

When it comes to Passwords have a look at this area.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back