Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net use lpt1..... am i going mad! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jockojem

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
GB
Hello All

The environment in Win2003 TS. I am trying to get net use lpt1 to work in a client session in order to map to a shared printer on the same server as the session. The lpt mapping is required for legacy apps and run at logon time through a batch file.

Syntax I am using is

net use lpt1 \\servername\sharename.

This works only if user is member of local admin. Any other access level (including Print Op) fails. User has explicit Manage Printer permission on printer(s). All GPOs are being blocked for troubleshooting. net use to a file share on the same server works fine. The fault is neither user nor printer specific.

Error is "The password is invalid for \\servername\sharename."

Am I going mad????

Jem

Hello Jockojem,

I'm having the same "problem". Since your post is over a month old, i'm wondering if you already found a solution.

Best regards,

Hi Rudy

Sorry no. Foretunately (for me!) we decided not to deploy the particular app on that server so it fell off my radar. I would be interested to know if anyone can solve it though as it will back to haunt me I'm sure!

Jem

Hi Jockojem,

I found some information regarding this problem;

Quote from
Microsoft added significant local security to Windows 2000 and Windows XP. A user with minimal rights does not have access to write files to the "C" drive, or to re-direct printing to shared network printers, both of which are required for RDP software to function properly. To solve this problem each user of a Windows 2000 or XP workstation must be a member of the administrator group on the workstation, which gives the user complete access and all rights for the local workstation. Please note that network security is not compromised, since the user must only be a member of the local administrator group on Windows 2000/XP workstations. All RDP users should not be a member of the domain administrator group.

End of Quote

This article is speaking of win2k and XP. I assume this is also the case for 2k3.

If I find anything else i'll let you know.

Best Regards,

We solved it in a very strange way over here: you have to disable the LPT1 port on the local machine (with device manager) en then you can use the command "net use lpt1: \\servername\sharename" in a login script. Try it and amaze yourself ;-)

Well, it works. I must say i'm a bit stunned :)

Thanks a lot you all.

Best Regards,

Thank you, ghanz1, from Tegucigalpa, Honduras and from Panama. I owe you a case of beer for the tip. You saved the day.

A case of beer is always welcome, lol! Glad to be of service.

cheers,
hanz.

I was going to ask if it worked when you tried lpt3 rather than lpt1, as lpt1 is an existing physical port. Dunno if your app would support that, though, but just a thought.

Just as a last thought, look into the con2prt.exe tool from the NT4 Res. Kit. We put it in the scripts directory with the logon batch and use it from there. It will install drivers if they're missing and set up the default printer if you need. This works great when you have many users on roaming profiles on the same computer so you don't have to set it up for each person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back