Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net use and LPT ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

John0616

Technical User
Dec 15, 2007
US
I installed a new machine with windows 10 to use with our point of sale system. The machine new machine has no physical LPT ports on it thus in the device manager no LPT ports are listed. for the cash drawer to operate our POS system requires that we map the receipt printer which is connected by USB to an LPT port so the system can send the drawer open code as the software itself only supports LPT or COM printers (ie NET USE LPT2: \\127.0.0.1\\receiptprinter). I tried manually adding a legacy LPT port through the device manager, but Windows does not know how to configure it--I'm guessing because there are no actual physical LPT ports on the machine. I tried various manual configurations, but no luck. Does anyone out there know if there is a way to add an LPT port to a machine that has no actual physical LPT ports?

Ypu need an apprpriate USB to parallel port device driver

In my experience USB TO Parallel port adapters are NOT as good as buying a PCI or PCI-E internal Parallel port card. Just my 2 cents.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I've never had a problem with Tripp-Lite adapters. The machines I need to put the adapters on don't have a place for internal cards anyway, e.g. laptops.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

My comment still stands on my preference, but laptops would be a no-go for sure.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

At the end of your net use command, add /persistent

After your net use command, does LPT2 show up when you type
Code:
cscript C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnmngr.vbs -l

I'm thinking maybe there's something goofy with the driver. If the USB->LPT driver installed correctly, there should now be an LPT port as far as the machine is concerned.
Check with the converter manufacturer and see if theirs is W10 compatible.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back