Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net time giving probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2003
US
From the command line I enter

net time

it returns with the following

A system error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

I have been unable to Google up any answers as to why this is happening. I can use every other net command (net view, net config workstation, etc) on every one of the machines, but net time refuses to let me work with it.

What server is net time configured to sync with??

Type:
net time /querysntp and what does it say? Is the answer a server that you have rights to access?

To set the sntp server type:
net time /setsntp:<servername>

Then you should be able to sync by typing net time /set which will prompt you as to whether you want to sync with <server> if this is the correct server answer yes - then from now on use the /y switch to suppress prompting.

Coleford

It turned out to be a permission problem, I just didn't quite see it at first.

When logged in to the domain, I do see the domain time server since I was authenticated with my domain account. But while logging in with the local administrator account, I get the error that I originally listed.

DESKTOPRAT
How do you solve this problem? I basically have WinXP machines that keep getting the w32time error when I log in as a local admin. I keep seeing w32time errors on my desktops and I suspect I am having the same problem as yourself with permissions...
Alot of strange things happening.. Roaming profiles do not copy back to server, time does not get synched, etc, etc So something got MUCKED up... Tackling one at a time... So how do you get the PC to sync when logged in with a local account?

copy the below into a notepad session, naming the file fix_time.cmd

***** begin copy/paste below this line *********
net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time
********* end copy/paste above this line ******"

This will work no matter what is authoratative as the time server. Note: the double entry above is not a typo.

Bcastner,

From near as I can tell, the /unregister and /register switches appear to be only Windows XP and 2003 switches. Anyway to get the same effect using only 2000?

DonChino,

I found the following from the Microsoft website, wintimeserv.doc

Access Denied
While running net time \\computer /set you receive an access denied error.
This error occurs when a remote procedure call (RPC) fails to authenticate, usually because a user does not have permission to access the remote computer and run Net Time. If you know the user name and password of an account that does have access rights, you can establish credentials by using the net use command.
To establish credentials using net use
· At the command prompt, type:
net use \\computer\ipc$ \user: username.*.

But I am still playing with it........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back