Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net time error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsherrill

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2001
US
I have a logon script to in the in the c:\winnt\system32\repl\imports\scripts folder. It is shared everyone has read access. The script runs fine except for the net time command. I've tried NET TIME /DOMAIN:MCRIT /SET, NET TIME /DOMAIN:MCRIT /SET /y, NET TIME \\servername /set /y,
and NET TIME \\servername /set. Always I get error 1314 required privilege not held by client. I don't want to give the clients the ability to set the time or date, that is the whole reason it is in the script. Can anyone help me out here?

All responses are appreciated!

In NT, in order for the Net TIME command to work through a login script, the user who is currently logged on MUST have the User Right-- "Change the System Time".
This must be set in the local User Manager at each NT workstation-- (i.e. give the right to Domain Users)
If there is a workaround to this, I've never heard of it. (Aside from using some 3rd party product)
-WhiteMtntn

dsherrill,

Have you looked into using the Timeserv utility that comes with the Windows NT Resource kit. It actually runs as a service in NT.

Thanks Witemtnt, that's the conclusion I came to before I sent in this post, just thought someone might have had a workaround, and ephol, I was waiting for an answer to this post to see if that would work. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back