Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net-snmp binaries, help urgently needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
DE
Hi folks,
I look for help from somebody who has experience with installing
compiled binaries.

Until now I've worked with other *ixes but not with Solaris.

My problem is, I need to install net-snmp, as the Sun-agent isn't of much use with respect to disk-usage etc. My Box is an Ultra1 with Solaris 8.
(uname -a says Sun4u)

To make things easy, I`ve downloaded the compiled binaries (net-snmp_5.0.9) for Sun4u from sourceforge, and unpacked the tarball.

The tarball created a subdirectory /usr and the subdirs local, bin, include, lib man sbin, share etc. underneath.

Where I am lost is, do I have to turn off snmpdx, and if so,
how and where do I have to install the binaries and the subdirs.

From what I understand , the Master-Agent must be turned off, and the snmpd-daemon must be turned on, configured to listen on port 161. But how do you do this ?

Any help is apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

I habe never installed a SNMP Daemon but if you need to add an application which needs to listen to a specific port there are two scenarios:

1) daemon starts at boot time and listens to a defined port
-> write a Script which starts /usr/local/bin/net-snm....
put this to /etc/init.d (you can copy a script from there eg. and softlink them to /etc/rc3.d/S..snmp and /etc/rc1.d/K..snmp to start and stop them automatically

2) daemon is started by inetd
-> add service to /etc/services and configure /etc/inied.conf (just take a look to the files and manpages)

HTH

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hello out there,

I have solved the problem by downloading and compiling the sources. After that, I followed the advice from 1), writing a start-script.

All exept 1 snmpd command work fine now.

The 1 comand is snmpdf, which should be the snmpd-equivalent to df -k
I have different results from df -k and from snmpdf (not much, ca. 3% diff., but it's just not correct !!). The values are of course not correct either, when I checked it by doing a snmpwalk throug ucdavis.
I've tried all sort of things, but run out of any ideas now.

Thanks anyway for the advice and rapid response, Franz.

(I'm not a native speaker too -- from Senden - Bavaria , hi ..)

na, dann kimma uns a af Borisch undahoitn! ;)
danksche fias sterndal!

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Gosuc,

I am also trying to do the same thing. I have dowloaded the binaries and tarball also created the same directories as with you.

Could provide how you got net-snmp installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back