Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net send fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlf

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a small home network on linksys router. Two w2k and one xp are networked. When I use 'net send' and it gives error: 'An error occurred while send a message to XXXX. The message alias could not be found on the network. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.' I use ip instead of box name and got same error. Can't figure out why, please help. Thanks.

-wolf

Howdy,

Is the Messenger service running on all machines ??

Net Send relies on this service to work

Hope this helps

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Thanks for yor reply. I can net send the box itself, and I assume the messenger service is running. BTW how to check if the messenger service is running? Thanks again.

To determine if the messenger service is running the remote machine, type this:

nbtstat -a COMPUTERNAME
or
nbtstat -A IPADDRESS

(Note that "a" and "A" are case sensitive in nbtstat.)

In the response from nbtstat, if you see

COMPNAME <03> UNIQUE Registered
and/or
USERNAME <03> UNIQUE Registered

then the messenger service is running. If you do not see an <03> entry, the messenger service is not running.

Be certain no firewalls are blocking ports 134-139, and 145 TCP and UDP.

Thanks for your replies. The messenger service is on since there is an <03> entry. On the linksys router Filter:
Block WAN Request: Enable
IPSec Pass Through: Enable
PPTP Pass Through: Enable
L2TP Pass Through: Enable
Remote Management: Enable
Use default MTU: Enable

I disabled Block WAN Request and net send still doesn't work. I don't have firewall. Any other ideas? Thanks. -wolf

Are the machines in the same workgroup? Make sure you are sending to the proper name. net name on the machine you're sending to.

Does a Start, Run, CMD

net view

Show all your workstations by name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back