Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET passport auto login NOT WANTED, but does anyway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadthought

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
Anyone else come across this?

I'm using IE6 with XP pro, and when I go to MSN groups and click login, it does, without asking me for a username or password!

I've not selected the 'log me in automatically' option but it goes ahead and does it anyway.

I have to log out before I can login with my 'private' login, but worse still it now 'remembers' this userID (but not thankfully password).

This seems a very insecure set-up, I never select auto-login or auto-complete because I regard this as insecure, but to get it whether you want it not is to me an open invitation to hackers.

You have to go to the .net password web site and request removal of the .net password username and password.

You will not be able with a Windows setting or registry hack to prevent .net password service from kicking in unless you remove the authorization by a request to the .net password folks.

That does not sound right, in the Contol Panel there is a place to control your .net password. Try there first. Sorry I can't be more specific I am at work on the last surviving 98 box.[smile2]

JON

Have a look at typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run Box. Click on Advanced then Manage Passwords.

I think Linney has got it.

I always say the NET Pasword Management tool and it only allows to add or edit an existing password but not remove it.

Linney
You have to have administrator level access to do this, and as just a user I can't do anything with this.

I'm allowed to make limited personal use of my computer at work, but since we went to XP this has be defacto curtailed by the policy/admin settings.

Any suggestions?

The policy settings will not apply if you logon as the local administrator on the local console. Of course that is of no help to you if you cannot do a local logon as adminstrator on your mcachine.

If that is not allowed, then follow my earlier suggestion of requesting the .NET Password folks to remove your account. This at least will prevent a default logon on .NET Password enabled sites.

As it was saying I was logged as domain\username, I thought I would try logging into the dialogue that is displayed when I type 'Control Userpasswords2' into start\run.

Still would not let me in, BUT I spoted two hyperlinks at the bottom of this dialogue 'manage your passwords' & 'change your default password', just out of curiosity I clicked 'manage' fully expecting it to refuse me access.

However, up came an edit box that allowed me to edit the '.net' usernames it had logged.

Not the way your suggestions specified, (unless I misunderstood what you were instruction), but a result!

If you want MSN Messanger to load but not log in automatically...

Sign out of messanger

Right click on the messanger man now with a red cross in him

select sign in, not sign in 'your name'

Take a tick out of the box marked sign me in automatically.

------

If you do not even want messanger to load on startup either install SP1 and change it in add remove programs, or click on start, run and type msconfig. Click on the startup tab and untick msmessanger.

Hope this helps
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back