Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET framework

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylvr

Technical User
Nov 26, 2002
I have been unable to find an answer to this and am hoping someone here can help me.

I am using a split Access db with a copy of the front-end on my web server (it's an internal one administered by my company). The back end resides on a shared network drive. I have created an .aspx page which fills dropdowns and inserts new data into my Access table. I built the page using VWD Express.
When I run it in VWD it works perfectly. When I try to run it through our intranet I get this message.

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '\\Usawvas16\materials.office.xerox.com\ToniTest\Cost Savings\data\Testdb.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

The database is definitely not already being used and the only thing I can think of is that VWD is using the .NET 2.0 Framework and our server is still running 1.1. I have tried changing permission on all of the folders and the database for "browser" and "network" and all of the others but nothing helps.

I have exhausted every idea I have and my IT department is not responding to me at all.

Is it possible for this message to appear if I am using a different version of .net? If that is the case then I need to request 2.0 to be installed on our server.

Thanks for any help with this.

Toni

My first guess is network permissions. The ASP.NEt worker process may not have netowrk privledges. Try to move the database to the local machine (Web Server) as a quick fix.

Senior Software Developer

That's one of the many errors that you'll come across when using Access in a web environment. Try using a database that will cope such as SQL Server (a free edition is available too).

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

Not sure what you mean by "local machine" - do you mean "my machine?". This is going to be accessed from our Intranet.
As I stated above, unless I am trying to change the wrong user, the permissions have all been fixed and there was no affect at all.

Could you please explain "local machine" further?

Thanks,

Toni

local machine = web server

I suspect that it is not file permissions, but rather the set of permissions that allows the IIS service to access the local network.

Fix Method 1:
Copy the Access Database (MDB) file to the web server so that IIS does not have to access the file on another machine.

Fix Method 2: (not highly recommended)
You could probably fix this error by going into Services and changing the properties of the IIS Admin service so that the Log On As is set to a user with LAN/Domain file sharing privileges. Local System Account can not access shared files on other computers. If you do this, DO NOT set the user account to one where the password will expire as it will suddenly stop working once it expires.

Fix Method 3: (recommended by ca8msm. It is the best option and highly recommended both for security and efficiency)
Use a version of SQL Server instead of Microsoft Access. Access will not support more than 15-20 users, It's slow, it requires file read/write access by the service, and it will bloat in size over time. Additionally, the Local System account will be able to access SQL Server even if it is on another machine.

Senior Software Developer

you could also use impersonation. google it or look it up here for info.

To go where no programmer has gone before.

Thanks for the info, I have tried impersonate with no luck and my database has always resided on the web server.

SQL is not an option because there is no support in my company to use this, I've already tried and still am unable to access a SQL server database.

Here is my folder structure if it helps.

Web server = USAWVAS15 then
\intranet\ToniTest\CostSavings\data (data is where my Access db lives)

My .aspx page resides in "CostSavings"

I have no access to IIS and can't get anyone here to tell me what the permissions look like on it so I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Toni

Still having the same issues with this. I have gone back and tried the SQL database on the server again and still my users are getting the same message. I can access it fine but no one else can. My SQL db resides in USAWVAS27 and my .aspx pages on USAWVAS16. It shouldn't matter that they are not on the same server, correct? That's what the connection string is for(??) I have verified all of the permissions and my IT dept is telling me that they don't think there needs to be permissions set up on the SQL db for the user ASPNET - is that true?

Why is it that I can access the db from the intranet, but no one else in my group can?

I'm using .NET 1.1 and Web Matrix. They won't install 2.0 on my web server as they think it will mess up the other sites that are using the same server. I know they are wrong, but it's not worth fighting at this point.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much for the help,

Toni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back