Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET Export to Excel Adds Extra Rows When Growing Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

mychal

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
US
I'm exporting to Excel in a .NET application, and when Can Grow is turned on for a given field, and the data in that field is too large for the field, the resulting Excel document contains extra rows with no data in them.

For example, if the Crystal version of a report looks like this:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
abc Too much 12/1/1980
data to fit
in the field
size.
xyz Just right 12/15/1977

When I export this to Excel, it looks like this:

A B C
1 Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
2 abc Too much 12/1/1980
3 data to fit
4 in the field
5 size.
6 xyz Just right 12/15/1977

Where did rows 3, 4, and 5 come from? Is there an Excel export setting I can change that will eliminate this issue?

Gracias.

I don't think there's a setting to eliminate that.

Try what I suggested in your other post, but I don't think that will do it.

You can export to a comma delimited and thn open it using Excel if what you want is a data dump.

Also there's the Excel Data Only which may help for exports.

The solution for exporting might be to increasethe width of the report, or use 2 different reports, one for display, one for export.

-k

Thanks for taking a shot, synapsevampire. This is actually happening in a .NET web application, so I don't have the comma delimited option, nor to I have access to the Excel Data Only option. Those are the ways I'd have handled this if I was using Enterprise, or even the old VB ASP solution, but alas, no good here.

The service pack/hot fix thingie didn't do it for me either.

Bummer. I hope they didn't add bugs to .NET so that we'd be forced to upgrade to v. 10...Nah, they wouldn't do that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back