Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NET.exe is being opened in a 3 minute dos window after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregFiore

Programmer
Nov 7, 2005
US
A Dell Dimension 4550 with 256K of RAM was running OK, but
then, the boot up time, including log on, increased to 4 minutes.
The problem appears to be a dos window opening with NET.exe on the menu bar. This window stays open for 3 minutes, then closes. It is using a lot of system resources. I can not identify what application may be opening it up. I know that NET.exe is needed and can't be deleted, etc. I also know that a virus changes it name to NET.exe. ANTI-Virus Scanning has found no virus, etc.
No new applications have been installed. Task manager shows the NET.exe running under "applications" and no other applications are running.
How can I identify what target application is opening this NET.exe dos window?

For more information about the syntax used with Net.exe, type net.exe /? at a Command Prompt.

What logon scripts or schedule tasks are running on Startup?

Have a look at your MsConfig startup items and non-Microsoft Services, see if there is anything odd there.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido" now called "AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5"

Windows Defender

What help is in the Event Viewer?

Thank you Linney for the reply.
I looked up the Startup processes as shown on msconfig. The only suspicious one was NvCpl which Microsoft says is
OK, but is a name used by some Virus. All the others are
indiciated as OK. dcsm (Drive Cleaner) and Digital Line Detect could probably be removed.
How do I find the application or script that is invoking
the Net.exe? I understand what Net.exe does, and how it is
used, but I don't want it running...it never has in the past, especially showing up as a blank DOS like window, with the name NET.exe in the upper left menu bar of the window.
Greg

Hi GregFiore,

Is the computer on a domain based network at all?

Good Luck
DrD

One thing you could look at is denying access to the net.exe and see what crashes or happens?

Something like this type of Software will show you all the auto-starting processes on your machine, it is more detailed than MsConfig and includes a lot more information.

Autostart Viewer

Thank you DrD123 and Linney,
The computer is a stand alone desktop, hard wired to
a Cable modem providing high speed internet access.
I have downloaded the startup process monitor software and will run it on the computer. Will also look into changing permissions on the NET.exe file so it is unaccessable, then restart the computer and see what doesn't work or complains !
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back