Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET Corrupt, Can't Update, Repair, or Uninstall - what now? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein47

Programmer
Nov 29, 2001
US
Hey all,

Recently my power supply died and when it went out, some sectors of my hard drive were damaged. A number of those sectors dealt with windows, so I had to do a chkdsk and Windows Repair install. My box now works to a point.

Something is majorly wonky with the .NET framework installation. Many apps that rely on .NET 2.0 will not function, or as soon as the launch will crash with the stupid "send crash report to Microsoft" that doesn't ever do anything useful.

I have tried going to Windows Update to get the latest of the .NET patches, but they fail to install and the installer will just rollback. I have tried going to Add/Remove programs and doing both Repair installs and Uninstalls of the .NET components, but have not been successful. I tried installing .NET 4.0 and although that did install, it didn't help anything so I uninstalled it.

What is the best/correct way to clean up my .NET installs so the apps that need 2.0 or 3.5 will function? Any advice?

Einstein47 (Starbase47.com)
“PI is like love - simple, natural, irrational, endless, and very important“

Have you tested your hard drive and RAM? When power supplies go out they can take things with them. Have you checked the capacitors by the processor to see if they are bulging? Best to rule out faulty hardware instead of spending hours trying to fix something only to have it completely break.
Backup any important data and download Ultimate Boot CD and test your drive and RAM.

faq1726-7491

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

run ccleaner and do the registry repair, several times until it runs clean, may take 3-4 times to run clean, then see if it still crashes, if it does, see if you can now uninstall, or repair it.

I found a link that mentioned deleting the "Policies" folder under "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS". I was nervous about it, so I moved it under "C:\TEMP". Once I did that I was able to install .NET 2.0 successfully. Rebooting allowed all my software needing those libraries to function correctly. YAHOO!!! (shout of excitement, not the corporation)

I still want to run diagnostics on my MOBO, Memory, and CPU. This PC is 6 years old, and it has been my life. Looks like I might need to get a new life.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Einstein47 (Starbase47.com)
“PI is like love - simple, natural, irrational, endless, and very important“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back