Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NET Controle file location not found 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

christoffel

Programmer
Jun 29, 2004
NL
Dear people,
I get the next message in a Windows XP-network with 1 W2000 PC:
Cannot open GEMEENTE.DB
You have attemted to open a database that is in use by someone else, but the database cannot be shared. You must set the location for the .NET controle file.

I have set the NET DIR (bde administrator) to the pdosusers.net-file for each user. This directory is also shared. What else must i do to get a multi-user environment?
Is also has thomething to do with "opportunnistic locking".
Where can i set this on "disable new file sharing"? I have a Dutch version.
thanks

It sounds like you have some stray lock files floating around. Get everyone out of Paradox and search for and delete all *.lck files. Once you have done this you should be able to load Paradox with no problem. I also want to confirm that you have set the net dir on all computers to the SAME shared directory. The only other thing you need to do in a multi user env. is to make sure that "Local Share" is true in the bde, in the newer versions of Paradox this is the default, in earlier versions the default was set to false.

This is not due to opportunistic locking although you should make sure that it is set correctly visit for details

Hope this helps
Perrin

Perrin,
Thank you, I will try to delete all lock-files. I have done all the other things you mention. I have paradox 11.
Chris

Chris,

I should have also mentioned that you need to search for *.lck files on the shared network drive and all local drives, there are likely lck files in the users private directory.

Since you are on XP (especially), likely the settings for 'Show hidden and system files and folders' is off on those machines.

You need to turn it on (in Windows Exploder) to find all copies of those .lck files. Can't delete them if you don't find them.

This is mainly an issue in Paradox 10, but can bite you with any version that places .lck files in hidden areas.

Tony McGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back