Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutec

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
Hello All,
I am trying to remember how to use Net Commands over the network on remote workstations. For example if I wanted to start a server on another workstation within my network I thought the commands was
Net Start netlogin <workstation>

Which is the wrong format. Does anyone have a clue as to what Im talking about and know the right format? Also does anyong have a good link on using Net Commands?

Thanks

MCSE CCNA

When I type in 'net start /?' I get:

The syntax of this command is:

NET START
[service]

So it looks like you can't use net * to start a server remotely.

You can use the computer management snap-in to do remotely.
Start|Run|compmgmt.msc

And then connect to the remote workstation.

/Siddharth

If you have the NT Resource Kit (or maybe even the 2000 RK), there's a program named SC.EXE that allows you to control services on a remote machine.

For example:

sc \\server1 stop w3svc

would stop the w3svc (web publishing) service on server1. It can do a lot more besides just stop and start services, including controling how they start (automatic, manual, disabled).

If you like using GUIs, the previous suggestion of using the Computet Management snap-in is right on the money.

You can also try Rexec.

From Win2K Help manual:
&quot;Runs commands on remote computers running the REXEC service. The rexec command authenticates the user name on the remote computer before executing the specified command, and is available only if the TCP/IP protocol has been installed.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back