Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

loutheman

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
I have several Windows 2000 Pro clients that have recently come up with errors mapping network drives due to the net command "dissapearing". The clients are on a domain and you can manually map the drives. I have tried sfc, recovery console, windows 2000 repair, and copying the net.exe from another machine, but you can't see the file. Seems like a virus/worm, but everything checks out okay. Does any one have any ideas?

When you say dissapear do you mean it just doesn't show up or that its actually deleted from the machine?

If its getting deleted you could try and set the file attributes. Try and set the file to read-only and system file.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

It appears to have been deleted. When I type "net" at the command prompt it says it is not recognized as an internal or external command. The weird thing is that when I copied the file to a floppy, it did not show up one of the affected pc's even though it shows the space being taken up by the file. The pc is set to view all hidden files.

Start, Run, cmd

path

Do you see the path for %windir%\system32 ?

Yes the path is there, but no net command in the dir listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back