Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.net career advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
US
I'm in a situation at work and I need some advice. I've been a programmer/analyst for the last 5 years coding in asp/html/javascript/sql server and consider myself pretty adept. Over the last year or so I've been migrating my skills towards asp.net and have become fairly self sufficient (but not an expert). My company recently purchased an iSeries server running a green screen/COBOL/DB2 application. There has been a major push lately by management to purchase and use Lansa. A job has opened up that would be considered my next step on the corporate ladder. This job has been earmarked as a Lansa programmer/analyst. The pay is about $10K more than what I'm making now. Management has narrowed their candidates down to 3 people and I'm one of them. What do I do? I had never heard of Lansa until a few days ago, and I can't see where there is a lot of demand for Lansa programmers out there (just search Monster.com!). If I were to take the job, would I be shooting my career in the foot? It seems like the only reason to do it would be the money, but I think that a .net programmer would have the earnings potential higher than that of a Lansa programmer. Has anyone ever dealt with Lansa and have any opinions one way or the other. Granted, I haven't been offered the position yet, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

Thanks in advance...

mwa
<><

If it were me, I wouldn't go for it because it appears to be minimally transferrable skills.

Chip H.

the only positives i see are 1) more money, 2) showing your ability to quickly learn/adapt in the programming world...

i probably wouldn't take it either though...

"...we both know I'm training to become a cagefighter...see what happens if you try 'n hit me..."

I'm leaning away from accepting the job (if they were to offer the position to me). I'm also currently working on an MBA degree. I don't particulary have the time to spend outside of the office learning a new language, especially when it seems that it would not help me out in the long run. One other concern is that if I pass up this job, will that take me out of the running for future jobs with this company? I might just have to take that chance.

mwa
<><

If you can envision yourself 30 or 40 years from now as still working for this company and being the Lansa Guru and Lansa (whatever that is) will be the predominant technology of the time then go for it. Else, hang in there and get the MBA. You have no idea how many wacky doors will open up for you.

Vince

I can envision myself being here for a long time... probably not 30 or 40 years (I should be retired by then). But I see your point. Just fyi, lansa seems to be a graphical code writing program, geared towards low skill level non-programmers types. It compiles into a higher level machine language that runs on the iSeries server (AS400). This is the best I could figure out from their web site:
Anyways, thanks for the advice. I had the final interview, and I felt that there was the potential that they would offer me the job. They did ask: "If we offer you the job, will you take it?" My answer: "I can't answer that question w/ confidence."

If offered, I'll probably decline the job , unless someone else can come up with a few words of wisdom to tell me why I should accept.

Thanks again

mwa
<><

Just out of curiosity, will you get anywhere in your current position? You had said this is the next step up, so, will you remain in a dead end spot there? Do you have the potential of using your .NET skills in your current position?

Our typical career path looks like this:

Entry Level Programmer--> Programmer 2--> Senior Programmer--> IS Analyst --> Senior IS Analyst

I am currently a Senior Programmer. The new job is an IS Analyst. So that's why I said the Job title is the next step in my careeer path here. However, there are different business segments, and this position is in a diffeent segment than where I am at now. I would say that the segment that my current position is in has potential for growth, and yes, I do have the chance to use my .net skills everyday in my current position. However, the ladder above me in this segment seems to be choked up with the "lifers" ahead of me. By "lifers" I mean the people that have been here 15+ years and are planning on retiring here, so have no motivation to advance and therefore free up jobs ahead of me.

I hope that answers your question...

mwa
<><

Well, then in my opinion, I agree with the others to wait it out. God forbid, but you never know something may happen to one of the other guys and you may be able to slide in. Life just seems to have a funny way of working itself out.. Good luck with your choices..

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone. Thanks for your opinions. I don't believe that I will accept the position... Unless of course they offer another $10K on top of what they are already offering... then I might just call myself Mr. Lansa!! :)

Thanks,

mwa
<><

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back