Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET beginner book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schick

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
Looking for a good beginner book for .NET. I have coded asp for about 8 months but I'm looking to move up to .NET, any suggestions are appreciated. Also, books to stay away from are also appreciated.

I like O'Reilly's Programming ASP.Net book. It gives code examples in both C# and VB.Net. I feel it is a good book to start with.

Thanks,

Gabe

I have found three of the O'reilly books
Which one were your refering to?

ASP.NET in a nutshell
ASP.NET
C# & VB.NET Conversion

Are you familiar with the WROX books? If so, what do you think about the quality of information?

Wrox is a great choice.
It also depends on what language you are interested in, but here are some good titles.

Level one books
---------------
"Beginning VB.NET"
"Beginning C#"
"Beginning ASP.NET using VB.NET"
"Beginning ASP.NET using C#"

Level two books
---------------
"Professional VB.NET"
"Professional C#" (I'm currently reading this one)
"Professional ASP.NET"

Reference Books
---------------
"ADO.NET Programmer's Reference"

A book I have read and really loved was from Microsoft Press:
"Building Web Solutions with ASP.NET and ADO.NET"
Author: Dino Esposito

Overall the Wrox books are awsome, and I will try to to write some reviews of come of the above mentioned books in this forum.

Hope this Helps and good luck!

One of my favorites is "Instant ASP.NET Applications" by Greg Buczek, Pub. Osborne/McGraw Hill. Its chock full of complete sites and has nearly 900 pages of code.

Whatever you do, don't buy Microsoft's "ASP.NET step by step". It has nothing about the codebehind or using vs.net, and gives very poor explanations of the sample code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back