Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.Net 2.0 install compatibility with 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesrhaynes

Programmer
Nov 1, 2003
US
I am really disappointed at the lack of compatibility for the .Net framework which seems to require both 1.1 and 2.0 to be installed together and then it 'might' work (see thread796-1184649 of Jan 21, 2006).

This is clearly NOT what Microsoft promised companies like ours when persuading us to change over to the .Net platform. We were promised future compatibility and even that .Net would eventually be built into the windows platform on release. Now our users are finding they can't install our software after upgrading to 2.0. From Dll hell to .Net hell!

In our case (so far as we can tell) it seems to be just the installer, not the actual executing software.

So, I have the following questions:

1) In the deployment project on the 'launch conditions' editor, how does one set multiple runtimes for the key "Supported runtimes"? I notice that it is plural

2) What is the correct form of the version number for 2.0 that should be used for that key?

The correct version number for version 2.0 is:

<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>

I agree, it is disappointing to see side-by-side issues when it was such a big selling point of the .NET framework.

...it is disappointing to see side-by-side issues when it was such a big selling point of the .NET framework

And is anybody surprised by this, at all?

I'm sure M$ will come up with a fix...and then offer to sell it to us as a new version.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Thanks for your help and comments. However, in Visual Studio 2003 using vb.net I find that it is impossible to change the runtime reference condition for the deployment project. It is seems to be a fixed launch condition set to 1.1.xxxx does not allow changes or even deletion.

Is it possible to change the environment of VS 2003 to use .Net version 2.0 as its default runtime?

If not, I guess we will have to get our 2005 version off the shelf, install it, and go through the nightmare of porting 2003 projects to 2005 and getting used to a whole new set of bugs.

I think you are confusing things, backwards compatibility is not the same as what you are trying to do, how can an older ide know about the new features???

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"Time for a new sig." - Me

Of course you're right. I am simply trying to rig something that will install correctly when only .Net 2.0 is present because we have been careful to use only very basic features that do in fact work in .Net 2.0 and our software works fine it it. Just doesn't install. For example, we can install 1.1 then install our software, then uninstall 1.1 (leaving 2.0 only) and all is well. If they did'nt intend to allow various .Net runtimes to be supported why would they use the term "SupportedRuntimes" for that entry rather than "RequiredRuntime". Was that just bad English or downgraded ambitions?

Just to complete the story. After a week of struggling by trial and error I found the answer. Simply have 'both' dotNets on the development machine, then in the deployment projuct launch condition for dotNet set the property:

Supported runtimes = 1.1.4322;2.0.50727

The simicolon was the key. The applications seems to deploy and function fine in either 1.1 or 2.0 so I am now somewhat less dissapointed.

Thank all for your comments and suggestions.

Thanks, that reference discusses how to handle it from the VS2005 XML editor by writing a custom configuration file. I just wanted to know how to fill in the blank in the exisiting launch condition property window of the deployment project in Visual Studio 2003 in Vb.Net. It was one of those simple solutions that are preciously little covered in the documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back