Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nested subform lost the + sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

accessgoddess

Programmer
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hi,

I have really used the nested subforms much but now I have an application where they are quite critical. My problem is that I have a subform on a main form and then two sub forms under that. It's a project that I've taken over so I didn't create the forms but up until now they were working well. Now however I have lost the plus sign on the top level nested form and don't know how to get it back. Is there some property I am missing out on? I've searched the web and several forums but can't find anything on the topic.
Thank you for your help.

Joanne

Hi,
Thanks for the answer but it didn't fix it. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the question. I have a subform inside of a subform. Since it's set to datasheet normally you get the little plus sign in the box located to the right of the first field of the grid. Clicking that little plus signs opens to the next level of subform that's nested in that sub form. Somehow I have lost that plus sign.

Thanks for your help.
Joanne

Are you explicitly linking the sub-sub form's tables?

Normally that little plus sign will be there if there is an explicit link joining one to many....

And there's DATA to be shown - I just tried this and as long as I had DATA all the way down the chain, the plus signs showed up...

Top Guy 1

Middle Guy Many side of TOP, 1 side of..

Bottom guy, Many side of MIDDLE

Top had a plus when there was a MIDDLE, which didn't have a PLUS until I put in a BOTTOM guy...

There are two ways to argue with a woman - neither one works.
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

This is happening to me, too. Both subdatasheets are explicitly linked. If I go into the record on the first subdatasheet, and save it, THEN the plus sign will show up. Not before. So basically I can add data, but not edit easily?

I have another set of subdatasheets on the same form, which work just fine.

Nevermind...Found the answer, as unhelpful as it is...:

<
ACC2000: Subdatasheets in Subform Cannot Be Expanded If First Record in the Subform Does Not Contain a &quot;Child&quot; Record
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Access 2000

This article was previously published under Q263629
Novice: Requires knowledge of the user interface on single-user computers.

This article applies only to a Microsoft Access database (.mdb).

SYMPTOMS
If you create a main form with a subform that contains subdatasheets, and the first record in the main form does not contain corresponding data in the related table, the expand indicator (+) for the subdatasheet is not visible.
RESOLUTION
For you to be able to view related data of any record in a subdatasheet in a subform, the first record in the main form must contain related data.
MORE INFORMATION
Steps to Reproduce the Behavior
CAUTION: If you follow the steps in this example, you modify the sample database Northwind.mdb. You may want to back up the Northwind.mdb file and follow these steps on a copy of the database.

Open the sample database Northwind.mdb.
Click the Customers table, and then on the Insert menu, click AutoForm. When the form is displayed, note that there are expand indicators in the subform. Save and close the form.
Open the Customers table in the sample database Northwind.mdb and add a new customer as follows:
CustomerID: AAAAB
Customer Name: Microsoft Corporation

Close the Customers table.
Open the form that you created in step 2. Note that you do not see the expand indicator on any record in the subform, even after you scroll to a record that has related child records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back