Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nested select not working with MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkjones

Programmer
Jul 14, 2000
GB
Hi Everyone,

I purchased an application which was written for Access, but I am running it on MySQL. I have converted most of the queries, simply by changing the case of variables, but there is one that is a little more complicated than that that is still causing me problems. It works fine with Access, but with MySQL I get a Syntax Error with the nested Select. Is there a better way to write this that will work with MySQL? Here is the code:

<cfquery datasource=&quot;#session.ds#&quot; Name=&quot;GetForums&quot;>
Select c.CatID, c.Category, f.ForumID,f.CategoryID,f.ForumName,f.Description,f.ForumOrder, f.forumpassword,
(Select count(T.TopicID)
from Topics T , messages m
where T.ForumID = f.ForumID
and m.forumid = f.forumid
and t.topicid = m.topicid
and m.forumid = f.forumid
and m.isapproved = 'y') as TopicTotals
from Categories c, Forums f
where c.catid = f.CategoryID
Order by c.CatID,f.ForumOrder,f.ForumID
</cfquery>

Any help is appreciated!

It won't work, nested queries and MySQL don't mix :-(.
From the MySQL manual:

The following will not yet work in MySQL:

SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE id IN (SELECT id FROM table2);
SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT id FROM table2);
SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT id FROM table2 where table1.id=table2.id);

I'm afraid you're gonna have to rewrite your script without nested queries and try to programmaticaly get the results you need.

Good luck!

Brommrrrr

Are you kidding me?

You can't do agregates or nests in MySQL? I had no idea.. are you serious?

Im baffled, truly. Is this the case? I guess its good to know... YIKES!

Would I lie to you? :)...I'm dead serious. Future versions will support nesting but I have no idea what version that will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back