Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nested query

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonXie

Programmer
Feb 4, 2001
NZ
Hello,All:

As we all know, a simple query S_q is of a standard form, i.e. select ... from ... where... group by ... having ... sorted by ...
Actually, a nested query N_q may contain other simple queries with standard form (or even other nested queries) in the where clause/from clause/having clause of N_q.

My questions are:

Whether there exists a software or a method which can convert a nested query into a simple query ?

Whether there exists a software or a method which can convert a simple query with having clause to one without having clause ?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

There are some software oackages that try and optimize queries and whilst doing this will re-create the statement for you - sometimes the better query isn't necessarily the simplest looking one.

Lecco Soft - SQL Expert Pro
Quest Software - SQL Lab Xpert

These are two I've seen, I know there are many more.

i want to form a query that will have output the total amount from a sales table in a quarterly period. the output should have 5 clouns year, qtr1, qtr2, qtr3, qtr4. though the table has only 2 comuns, date (dd/mm/yyyy) and the amount.
i did manage to get the total for the forst qtr jan-feb-march, but i need to get the second and third column now... any help available?

Hummmmmm, moonhearts, hummmmm, OOOOOOOdd,

Anyway, try to use a nested query.

For example,
If you have got these:
Q1 :
select sum(amount) as qtr1
from sales
where date in (Jan, Feb, Mar) ( or something like this )

Q2:
select sum(amount) as qtr2
from sales
where date in (Apr, May, Jun)

You might be able to use the follows:

select sum(amount) as year, qtr1,qtr2,qtr3,qtr4
from sales, (body of Q1),(body of Q2),...

I have not tested it. Becuase MySQL doesn't support the nested query.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back